Start from the beginning


The most recent anecdotes and information are at the top of this page. If you just stumbled upon my blog for the first time and are interested in following my progress, you may want to start reading from the beginning. You can do this by checking out the Blog Archive found on the right of your screen.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Birthday Presents!

Yesterday was my birthday and although you might be thinking "What in the world does this have to do with glass blowing?", I can assure you this birthday was all about glass for me.


9" jacks made by Jim Moore from Seattle
For starters, I got my first swoopy tool.  My sweet John managed to secretly consult with Annette and buy me a set of jacks.  These were made by Jim Moore in Seattle, and are used in so many ways.  They're the Leatherman of glass tools.  I can't wait to use them! The blades, which look like they were stolen from Edward Scissorhands, are 9" long.


John wasn't sure which of my presents would be my favorite, and a shiny new set of jacks is hard to beat, but he also managed to pull off another double secret mission.  This requires a short explanation, though.  Part of the reason I haven't been blogging is because I have been distracted by beading.  I am learning about lampworking and making glass beads at home.  I got the basics from a pro, but am trying to teach myself as much as I can at home.  One of my methods has been going through Passing the Flame, a book written by my favorite bead artist, Corina Tettinger, and making each of the beads she demonstrates in her book over and over again until I perfect it.  I showed John her website (www.corinabeads.com) and the adorable frog beads she makes.  Unfortunately, she is so popular her beads sell within hours of being posted for sale on her site, and I haven't been so lucky as to get one.  John went to the site, contacted Corina, and, suffice it to say, the photo below was another one of my wonderful gifts.  I loved her little card as much as I loved the bead.  Clearly, through just a few short emails, she already knows John.  Yes, he is joyful . . . and he is a prince! 


Thanks, Corina!!!


The base the bead is sitting on is a mandrel holder that John made for me.  (Thanks to the University of Michigan piano tech department for letting him borrow some tools!)  Of course, since John made that one himself, it my favorite gift of all!

My final glass gift hasn't arrived yet, but my dad bought me a Carlisle Mini CC High-Oxygen torch and oxygen concentrator.  My little home studio is coming together nicely.  And, yes, since I didn't win any part of that record-breaking $640 Mega Millions jackpot, it is still located in my basement. A girl can dream, though!

And, finally, it just wouldn't be a birthday without cake and flowers.  I think John made three or four cassata cakes before perfecting his recipe.  It was amazing!

Mmmmmm. . . cassata cake!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment